Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ivy's Third Birthday

On September 21st, Ivy turned three! Makes me sad my little one is growing up so fast. Even though the birthday was more than a week ago, she is still depending heavily on the a-birthday-makes-me-special status. If she's being left behind for any reason, or not getting the treat or snack that she wants, or being put to bed - in general, anything she doesn't particularly want to do right then - she pulls out the birthday card. "But I'm the birthday girl, so I get to . . . ." She wins more than she ought to.


A couple of weeks before the big day Ivy announced that she was going to have a "butterfly birthday." Luckily, I had made a butterfly cake before so that was easy, and her sisters and brother got to work making lots of beautiful paper butterflies. McKenna also made a fun banner. On the day of, I bought balloons and hid them in the closet, and she helped me pick out all of the sprinkles and candy for the cake. Then daddy and I took her out shopping (on our errands) for a while, while the "surprise" was put together by the siblings. They decorated the cake, hung the banner and butterflies, tied the balloons, assembled/wrapped the presents, and turned off all the lights. When we came home Ivy was so excited about the little book we had bought her (because she told us she was the "birthday girl") that she didn't pay much attention to the dark house or all the yelling of "surprise!" She just started showing them her new book. It only took a minute or so, though, once they showed her the cake and presents for her to realize what was happening. When she talks about her party she says, "they aprised me!"
The kids did a great job decorating!

Wearing all the pretty stuff she opened -- and eating some of the candy off the cake.

Gifts galore! The shopping cart already has A LOT of mileage on it.

Had to light the candles twice, so Cooper could help blow them out.

Maia bought and gave her Elmo and that's Maia's baby Sammy along for the ride too. Ivy has told me NUMEROUS times that "now I don't have to ride in the cart, mom, 'cause I'm a mama now." Luckily on our last trip to Costco she forgot that and rode with no argument.

With our birthday girl!





No comments: